installing XP

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Mon Feb 8 06:12:05 UTC 2010

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 21:28:50 -0500
> Gary Kirkpatrick <pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> There is 1 meg on this computer.  Is that enough to run xp in virtual
>> box?
>>

> I'll assume that you mean gig and that you mean RAM.  That would work
> for a Linux.  For a lark I just now assigned 512 Mb to a Karmic
> installation in VirtualBox.  It runs fine.  The krell meter shows
> 387 MiB free.
>
> A Winduhs installation, though, I don't know what it might require.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Though XP works with 512 it's not pretty.  If you have the budget and
room 1g stick are usually <$40 US.  Either way it will work with 512 but
VBox will bark a bit for assigning >50% memory to the XP.  Another
option is to borrow your wife's laptop memory (if it is compatible) to
bump your's up until the repairs are complete; unless, of course, the
RAM is the problem.

There are several solutions I can think of; but, without reading through
the rest of the post I don't want to risk repeating others.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."