basic - continued - automatic updates

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 08:17:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:07 AM, Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:

>> I got updated from 9.04 to 9.10 without wanting to go. This happen
>> when 9.10 was not ready for use. I later got a new copy of a Linux
>> magazine and started over with a new hard disk. Everything works
>> now. I have rejected updates. My update list states over 100 update
>> files to be install. Is it worse to avoid risking repeat problems than to
>> allow the updates?
>>
>> Thomas
>>

> The updates are not the same as a dist-upgrade. you will be warned in
> advance before you are updated from 9.10 to 10.04.. (ie, it doens't
> happen without you wanting to go)...  I personally tend to ignore the
> daily update grind on my personal desktop/workstations, but that's
> probably not the most responsible advice.  I will suggest, however, that
> whatever OS you use, be it Windows, Linux or Mac, or whatever, if you
> have something that works well for you,, *back it up.*  Rogue updates
> are just one of many minor disasters that might have you back to a fresh
> install process otherwise.

Rogue updates? I have never in 10 years had linux update to something
that broke my whole system. I did one time have it bork the video
driver though.  I could see how a newbie could take that is a broken
system and reinstall everything. In my case I just booted with a cli
and fixed the drive settings.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.