No more OOo in UNR 10.04

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 20:19:28 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Mark Fraser
<ubuntu at mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sunday 07 Feb 2010 19:33:56 Rashkae wrote:
>> Chris Jones wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > Just thinking out loud but why ? How many machines out there have a CD
>> > but not DVD drive these days.
>> >
>> > We've long since moved away from "everything needs to fit on a floppy",
>> > maybe its time to move from CDs to DVDs...
>> >
>> > Just wondering.
>>
>> I'll second that.. I would love to see Ubuntu move to install DVD's
>> distributed by torrent with a larger set of included software, including
>> gimp, OO, Dial-up, several others.... but I think this particular snafu
>> has more to do with the capabilities of the target machines than it does
>> install media.
>
> Don't forget that most, if not all netbooks do not come with an optical drive.
> Which means that you'd have to put the ISO onto a memory stick to install and
> therefore can be larger than the 650MB of a CD.

I just got a new mem stick for the usb. 8 GM 19 Euros but I think the
real problem is download time. I think a better way to go would be to
have the desktop boot up with a bunch of clickable icons that would
run large apt-get statements. You could have them for each type of
install and also a short PDF to explain what each one did.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.