sudo

Smoot Carl-Mitchell smoot at tic.com
Sat Feb 6 23:33:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 23:22 +0000, Graham Todd wrote:

> But the converse is true if that is the case: sudo gives no greater
> protection than su, so why make it the default for Ubuntu?  Why not
> continue using the default Debian used?

It ends up being more of a religious argument on desktop or systems with
a single administrator.  I find sudo a more convenient administrative
tool.   Others prefer to su to root.  If you are administering a
multmachine environment with a lot of privilege delegation then sudo is
the way to go, especially if you can centralize the polices in an LDAP
directory.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and