No desktop, Best programs?

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 12:29:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Chan Chung Hang Christopher
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> Knapp wrote:
>> Hello, I have been thinking about putting UBuntu on my VERY old
>> laptop. It is so old that a desktop is really a waste.
>> I know that you can use a mouse on the CLI and that there are some
>> very good programs for all the standard functions but what are they?
>> Goals.
>>
>> Use ONLY CLI.
>> Have a desktop like experience.
>>
>> I will start with the midnight commander as the file browser.
>> What is the name of the program for using a mouse in CLI?
>> Programs needed; email, web, fire browser, IRC, torrent, Music, video,
>> timer, top like program, networking, a BIG ONE keyboard switcher
>> (dvorak to Germany to USA standard), Office, PDF. What did I forget?
>>
>> Can it be done? Are there limits?
>
> No pictures?
>
> Email: Get a mutt
>
> Web pages: Get a lynx
>
> Video: /me raises an eyebrow. You want to watch a video via the command
> line? Is the SVGA library still around?
>
> top like program: How about using top?

Top works but htop and atop are better than top but I was thinking
there might be something even better.

> networking: What type? MLM? Pyramid? ???
>
> torrent: How about bittorrent?

Is that the best of the group for cli? What of rtorrent or bittornado?

> PDF: pdf2txt?

That sounds like a good idea!

> Mouse support: gpm

Yep, that was it.

> timer: at
>
> You forgot: emulator for dos to run Windows 3.11 and dos games

Forgetting MS must be some sort of linux Enlightenment. I did it!!!! :-)
What games did you have in mind? I did install all the cool text games
from unix!

--
Douglas E Knapp

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.