Grubb list menu

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 6 04:09:54 UTC 2010

On 02/05/2010 07:38 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 02/06/2010 08:06 AM, NoOp wrote:
>
>> I should also add that this is a fault in the new startupmanager. I
>> removed several older kernel images (-17 etc), and although it had been
>> set to default to 'Windows 7 (loader) on /dev/sda1' (for my wife's
>> convience as she's trying to figure out Win7 for her work), as soon as I
>> ran 'sudo update-grub'&  rebooted, the default was set to
>> vmlinuz-2.6.31-19-generic. I had to run startupmanager again to reset to
>> Win7.
>>
>> I figure it will take a few months/revs to get all of this sorted out;
>> grub2 may be the next gen... but IMO it's a PITA compared to grub.
>>

> Just making a short comment here, you'll still need to do this on
> grub-legacy if you want to default on windows. Still a PITA too. An
> alternative is to set default to saved. And yes, it's slightly more of a
> hassle to do that in grub2.

Actually not with startupmanager. With StartupManager on grub-legacy you
simply set it to default (yes it has/had some hickups) you'd set it to
default on the OS/Kernel and it pretty much worked. With old grub you
also had the option to suppress the amount of kernels you'd see (the
images were still present in /boot but you didn't have to look at them
if you didn't want to.

> One way to avoid all this is to set up a separate 'main boot' or first
> boot partition to boot all OS. Any changes made in that grub.cfg will
> not be affected by any OS grub-update. Also it eliminates the need to go
> to each individual OS grub to update kernel changes in the other OS's.

Been there, done that. Found boot issues with missing kernals that were
installed etc. Probably due to my not understanding all of the grub2
structure (yet). But the issue remains that, as yet, grub2 is still a
PITA to modify (may work well, but it's a PITA to modify - for me).

> But the main advantage is that for testing new OS or alpha's; where, by
> its very nature, is prone to errors or is 'unstable', you'll may end up
> with an unbootable system if this unstable OS is set to mbr and is
> nuked. Having a 'main boot' partition avoids this as it won't be nuked
> by any OS, even if that OS is nuked.
>
> Oh, it's always a good idea to keep a grub2 rescue disk handy. It was
> PITA to make a grub-legacy rescue disk

Try it with a floppy on karmic :-)

> , or setting a 'main boot' with
> grub-legacy and maintaining it. Or when the system cannot boot. Give me
> grub2 anytime.

I have supergrub rescue (not the base supergrub cd) and it works well
with getting me booted and out of trouble (so far). Hopefully the
maintainer of supergrub will get grub2 releases out soon - in the past
he's done a great job with grub(legacy?).

> regards - goh lip

And I'll trust your grub/grub2 advise most anytime - thanks :-)