basic - continued

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 19:31:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:50, xinchen <xinchen97 at sina.com> wrote:
>> 4) Windows XP costs approx $100 and MS Office Pro costs approx. $400.
>> This means that one would have to spend at least US$500 just to start
>> using a PC, whilst UBUNTU + Open office costs nothing except perhaps
>> the
>> charges incurred for the internet access for downloads;

> 4. yes. but you can get technical support  directly from Microsoft
> support center but if you use linux ,you can only get help from
> mail-list or network.

Not necessarily.  You can get Linux technical support directly from
Canonical, Red Hat and Novell, and just as with direct support from
Microsoft, you're going to pay for it.  OR, you can get free support
from forums, mailing lists, LUGs, LoCos etc for both Linux AND
Windows.

The difference mainly, is that as far as support goes, in Linux,
you're pretty much only going to get paid phone support from the big
names, you aren't going to get it for IHeartLinuxMegaDistro, or any of
the other nearly 1000 offshoots, variants, etc.

Cheers,
Jeff

--

Joan Crawford  - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar.
Everything I earn, I spend." -