RFC, submission: ubuntu technical moderated list

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Feb 5 04:04:07 UTC 2010

>> Sorry, I don't uderstand that logic. With your private list you don't
>> reduce the OT ratio on this list. However you want to periodically
>> advertise your private list which is OT here IMHO. Therefore you would
>> intentionally _increase_ the OT ratio of this list. While I don't
>> necessarily like the current OT ratio, I definitely don't like spam
>> here. Feel free to disagree - I'm only speaking for myself, not for the
>> entire list.
>>
> Note to Nils, with logic like this, you can speak for me too.
> I throw my lot in with Nils.

What I find most amusing is why would you even want a mailing list that
is ONLY technical support for an operating system. This issue of people
wanting to talk about Ubuntu has come up so often I believe that others
who run mailing lists with the rule - ontopic = distro related - have
got it right.

Which, incidentally, is also how most open source software related lists
are run.

If a person is not really interested in the distro and just wants
something that works and the occasional help for getting to that stage,
why would that person want to join a mailing list where there would be a
continual flood of emails that are of no interest to said person? It
does not make sense.

The forums are far more suitable for that. One plugs in when one wants
and one unplugs when one is done. Making it 'technical support only'
will only mean a guarantee of future repeated breaches of this one and
only policy.