Technical support, not general discussions (Was: basic)

Res res at ausics.net
Fri Feb 5 02:21:38 UTC 2010

what good is that?
it wont stop the nazis like amadee and co pretending to be the moderators
of this list and enforcing "their" style over newbies, Michael is right,
those newbies will rarely stay.

I know i've pissed a lot off for standing up to those bullies, ive had
hate mail from many here over it, usually the ones that dont like being
told they have no right to dictate to others how they type, but, ive had
surprisingly far more emails of support for me taking that stand!

That is why I will, when time permits, remind the likes of amadee they
are nobodies in authority here, they dont like it but tuff, if tehy
changed their ways I'd never have to say anything to them. if tehy want to
run a ubuntu list, there are plenty of places that will give them a list,
where they can play god, but they have no right to play it here.

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, user1 wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 03:25:02 -0500, Michael Haney wrote:
>
>> I'm extremely disappointed in the behavior of certain individuals on
>> this list.  Their anti-newbie behavior perpetuates a long standing myth
>> about the Linux Community which we desperately need to eradicate.
>
> If you are using an e-mail client like kmail, you could use the spam
> filter (spam for the bad guys and ham for the good guys), to "ban"
> certain individuals.
>
> You could also use pan newsreader, and I have made a pan howto:
>
> I find it easier to use a newsreader (I use Pan, as it has worked very
> well for me) instead of certain e-mail clients for managing mailing
> lists.
>
> Install Pan using synaptic (in ubuntu).
>
> Add as news server:
>
> Pan - Edit - Edit News Servers - Add - "news.gmane.org"
>
> Add your e-mail address:
>
> Pan - Edit - Edit Posting Profiles - "your e-mail address"
>
> Then Search for e.g. "gmane.linux.ubuntu.user" as group name (use
> search box top left in Pan) and then right click on the found list and
> choose "subscribe".
>
> Please note, that there is thousands of other mailing list groups out
> there, and also a lot of other news servers.
>
> gmane.linux.ubuntu.user (is the group for ubuntu-users mailing list)
>
> Practical setup items:
>
> Pan - Edit - Edit Preferences - Behaviour - Groups - mark "Get new
> headers in subscribed groups on start up".
>
> Pan - Groups - Get headers - select Get all headers - Execute
> This item makes it very important, that ALL subject lines in all posts to
> be very DESCRIPTIVE. Then it will be possible to search very distinct for
> answers. That is if you have all headers of a newsgroup downloaded in
> Pan, you can more easily find your answers. Search in subject lines is
> done in top right search box in Pan.
> This item has to be done each time you want all groups (maybe a bug).
>
> Pan - View - Header Pane - Choose "Thread Headers" (to sort articles by
> threads (toggle on/of)).
>
> When you post/follow up first time you will receive an e-mail asking
> you to reply to the mail (to verify that you are you), and when you have
> done that you are up to use
> the mailing list group using Pan.
>
> This should be done for each new newsgroup you subscribe to.
>
> Using Pan for your mailing lists also give you a much better overview of
> your mailing lists I think.
>
> Sorry that I repeat the usefullness of Pan, but it took me several years
> to find out how much more easy it is for me to use Pan for your mailing
> lists -
> a very important "weapon" for getting help in the linux world I find.
>
> ***
>
> If anybody has problems with certain spam articles/authors and use Pan
> newsreader they can do:
>
> Select the article/s
>
> Then choose: Pan - Articles - Edit Articles watch/ignore/score - Add -
> [...]

Res

"What does Windows have that Linux doesn't?" - One hell of a lot of bugs!