basic - continued

Rafiq Hajat ipi.malawi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:14:33 UTC 2010

The debate concerning Linux vs Windows seems to rear it's head fairly
frequently on this forum and I would like to contribute my newly
acquired perspective - if I may.

Having started with Windows 3.0 right up to Vista - and being of a
curious mind I can vouch for the interminable hassles that windows poses
- we have all confronted  the blue screen of death with a sinking
feeling in the pit of the stomach.

The market dominance of the OS has made it a prime target for every
hacker who wishes to stake a claim to fame. This has led to a horde of
viruses trying to engulf the system and requires protective measures
that, in turn, slow down the system.

But, more importantly, (and sickeningly) is Microsoft's policy of
charging for obsolete software - which was nauseatingly manifested
during the Vista fiasco when users wished to revert to XP. It may
interest you to know that my country, Malawi ranks amongst the six
poorest in the world, yet we are required to pay royalties for our
school kids to learn and use software (even when obsolete) that could
well be their ticket out of interminable grinding poverty. This is the
ultimate injustice and it is very difficult to forgive Microsoft for
following such a callous policy.

This is why my organisation is determined to wean Malawians away from
our unthinking, unquestioning and servile dependence on Microsoft
products and guide them towards a much more equitable alternative - i.e.
Linux, which, in my humble opinion, is a far superior product that has a
bright future.

Rafiq Hajat
Executive Director,
The Institute for Policy Interaction