OT: was: Re: 32 or 64??

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Wed Feb 3 02:35:34 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 02 February 2010 4:13:02 pm Christopher Chan wrote:
> > I couldn't help but notice recently, much to my cost, that Intel is
> > removing Virtualization extensions on all their current socket 775
> > CPU's.. (how are the i5 and i7 faring?).  The only reason I can think
> > for this move is to prevent the low end cpus from competing with the
> > workstation/server market, since these cpu's are now more than fast
> > enough for many workloads to be simply io bound.
>
> Go AMD. No surprises whether there is hardware virtualization or not.

See, I did that originally but then AMD generally used nVidia and that was so
poor that I went with Intel in my Dell 1525n laptops back in 03.  Now things
appear to be opposite again.  It seems as time marches on, all truisms
related to computer hardware flip flop as fast as a politician's speech!  I
am however, now looking at an i7-975 desktop and it only offers nVidia video
cards.  It comes preloaded with Kubuntu so I guess I'll see how 10.04 will
run on it shortly. Reason for that is that I'd way prefer running on a LTS
base, even if they don't know how to make a decent attempt at KDE support.
My current desktops are AMD Athlon machines from somewhere in the mid to late
90's.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403