Karmic Kapers

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Feb 1 16:06:47 UTC 2010

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:16:58 +1030, Derek wrote:

[snip]

> Then the martian_modem software was installed as in 8.04 but I can only
> connect from Terminal with sudo wvdial.
>
> I cannot run 'gnome-ppp' or with terminal non-root 'wvdial' which both
> give the following:
> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60 --> Cannot open /dev/ttySM0:
> Permission denied --> Cannot open /dev/ttySM0: Permission denied -->
> Cannot open /dev/ttySM0: Permission denied

You need to start the martian modem driver loader (/usr/sbin/martian)
with the correct options to set the user/group permissions for /dev/
ttySM0. If you did the standard install with the martian loader started
as a daemon from the initscript, /etc/init.d/martian, then all you need
to do is edit that file and change the line that looks like this

/usr/sbin/martian --daemon $DEVICE

to this

/usr/sbin/martian --daemon --user=root --group=dialout --mode=660 $DEVICE

Make sure you are a member of the group dialout and restart the martian
service.
Do a "ls -l /dev/ttySM0" and you should see this

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 66 2010-02-01 06:44 /dev/ttySM0
(major,minor numbers might be different)

--
sktsee