Installing WIcd Using Ubuntu CD After NM Quit

Leonard lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 1 05:18:49 UTC 2010

Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> If you can, have you tried setting it in /etc/network/interfaces? Do
> you need to see an example?

Not yet.  Probably need an example but the one below looks vaguely familar.

> In /etc/network/interfaces:
> auto wlan0
> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> In /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:
> network={
>         ssid="ADD-YOUR-SSID-HERE"
>         proto=RSN
>         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>         pairwise=CCMP TKIP
>         group=CCMP TKIP
>         psk="ADD-YOUR-WPA-PASSWORD-HERE"
> }
>
> sudo  /etc/init.d/networking restart

Oooops, I think I should have done that before trying to install wicd
after modifying the NM settings_;O) Just did the above after installing
NM and NMG from CD but no joy. Even ran ifdown and ifup which used to
help but not now. Of course the version installed from the CD is not the
same versions on the updated karmic.

> Or can you set up something like window's ICS, either with a cat6
> ethernet cable or a router or hub for ethernet?
Not easily.  Dont have any cable and to move the machine to my router is
too much for my bad back. If I can get NM setup correctly a quick
install of wicd will fix everything. Flash, I can't get NM to work or
even find it in my Kmenu|system. Will try booting into gnome to see if I
can get the NM app to run therel

> Let me know what's possible and I'll see what I can find. I've had
> many situations like this, especially since I couldn't get wireless
> drivers for my machines. No ethernet. Gah

My wifi card is wmp54g Linksys wifi pci card and uses the rt61pci
drivers. The driver modules are all loaded but I can't find NM in my
Kmenu anywhere nor can I locate an executable in /bin or /usr/bin even
though aptitude search and show say they are installed. What a mess.
Another flash: My brain started working a bit and I dolphined over to
a Hardy part that was working on wifi. Copied the wlan0 file over from
/e/n/i and got the card to light up. Restarted networking got the card
running but the release wouldn't renew. Oh my frustrations. I'll wait
for more replies and try to calm down.  Thanks for your help. Have made
some prigress but not quite there.

--
Leonard
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net