Java not working in Firefox 3.6

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Mon Feb 1 02:30:14 UTC 2010

anubis wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 18:33 -0600, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>>
>> the 64bit version seems to handle cookies differently than the 32bit
>> version.
>
> It most certainly does not. There is no reason why it would.

I agree that it shouldn't but I have a 32bit and a 64bit and they seem
to act differently. The 32bit runs 32bit Firefox3.6 and the 64bit runs
Firefox 64bit.

I like to set up cookies as follows:

Accept cookies from sites = checked
Accept third-party cookies = unchecked
   Keep until = ask me everytime

I do this because it gives me a chance to accept or reject cookies when
I visit a new site.  I set both machine up this way.  When I preceived a
difference I did the following:

I deleted cookies from www.cnn.com from both machines.  I went to
cnn.com on the 32bit machine and it popped up a dialog saying it wanted
to set a cookie.  I allowed it and cnn.com loaded.  I did the same thing
on the 64bit machine and there was no popup dialog.  The throbber on the
tab just kept spinning and the page refused to load. I then changed the
Keep until to "they expire", shutdown Firefox and reopened it. I went to
cnn.com and it loaded promptly.  I looked at cookies and there were
cookies from cnn.com.

I did this multiple times and the result was always the same.  It was
this result that prompted me to make the statement you quoted above.
Now if no one else sees this then something must be wrong on my machine
and would welcome any advice for fixing it.

Regards,  Jim