Java not working in Firefox 3.6

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 1 02:06:55 UTC 2010

On 01/31/2010 04:33 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 01/27/2010 05:14 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>>> OK, I'll take another look at Seamonkey when I get setup again.  I had
>>> made so many random changes to the system it was becoming a confusing
>>> mess so I reformatted and re-installed Ubuntu.  This time I know I may
>>> have problems and will keep some notes.
>>>
>>> Regards,  Jim
>>>

>> You might want to try:
>> https://launchpad.net/~joe-nationnet/+archive/ppa-seamonkey2
>> I've been testing for the past few days (see:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/461864) and the builds have been working
>> well for me in both 32bit and 64bit.
>>
>> Instructions for adding the PPA as on the first link (click on '(Read
>> about installing)'). Don't forget to add the PPA signature:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys A8F0C7B7
>>
>> Be aware that PPA's are "Personal Package Archives" and as such are
>> *not* officially supported by Ubuntu. So use at your own discretion & be
>> aware that the person posting PPA can easily pull off the files any time
>> they wish (as was done by the Ubuntu OpenOffice.org maintainer awhile
>> back with his OOo 3.x PPA's). That said, these are working well for me,
>> along with my standard Mozilla 1.1.18, 2.0.2, and 2.0.3pre versions
>> installed in my home folder. The usual precautions apply: back up your
>> ~/.mozilla folder first.
>>

> OK, thanks.  Over the last couple of days I managed to get the launchpad
> PPA's working and have installed the 64bit versions of Firefox 3.6 and
> Thunderbird 3.0. I also managed to find the version of Lightning that
> works with Thunderbird3.0.  They seem to be working well.  At first
> Firefox had difficulty connecting to alot of sites but that was caused
> by the way I had cookies setup.  I'll have to do some more testing but
> the 64bit version seems to handle cookies differently than the 32bit
> version.

??? Say what? There is no difference (that I am aware of) in how 32bit
versions handle cookies any differently than 64bit versions. I generally
turn all cookies off unless they are required for loging into a site
etc., BYMMV.

So for now I think I will stay with the Firefox/Thunderbird combo.

Probable a wise decision given that you actually did an entire reinstall
of Ubuntu due to your efforts of adding mozilla programs. However, I
hope that you do realize that whatever PPA's you used for the
Thunderbird and Firefox installs are subject to the same warnings that I
provided to you regarding SeaMonkey.

Note: not meant as a slam... but I suggest that you simply stick to the
standard Ubuntu repo versions of whatever you install. No clue either
why you needed to use a PPA for Thunderbird or Firefox on a 64bit
install... the supplied versions work quite well on the systems I've tested.