Fwd: Re: My computer is a wreck?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 31 05:24:36 UTC 2010

On 31/12/2010 14:47, jimkvg at 3web.com wrote:

>  I had been using Ubuntu 9.10 for quite a long time after installing it
>  in a Windows XP Pro system beside Ubuntu 10.4 and I enjoyed it very
>  much. (I installed the Ubuntu 10.4, but I couldn?t get it in an
>  internet connection so I resorted to 9.10, that?s why.) I gave an
>  Ubuntu 10.10 a see. I downloaded it and burnt it to make a Live CD.
>  When I restarted the PC, I noticed two CD/DVD drives?s light monitors
>  flashing several times front and back

While this may be immaterial at the moment, but what do you mean by
"light monitors flashing several times front and back"?

>  and I stared at black screen. It didn?t even turn on, not even BIOS
>  menu screen that I tried. I pushed the power button to turn PC off,
>  waited a long while and then pushed it back on. Same thing happened.
>  After several attempts I decided to turn the main PC switch on the
>  back of the case off. When I turned it back on and pushed the power
>  button on the front. Nothing.

By "nothing" do you mean that you don't even hear the POST *beep* (or
any beeps) from the BIOS or you do hear the beep(s) but then nothing else?

Knowing this is important because what you are describing is something I
went thru 3 months ago.

(In my case, there was no beep. The motherboard or the BIOS went to the
place where all good mobos or BIOS go when they decide that it is time
to depart this cyber world...... :-( .)

But, if you still hear a beep then we can go looking for the problematic
component.

>  That got me wondering ... has the BIOS been shot? or motherboard? I
>  meant ?screwed up? whatever you call it. It left me staring at black
>  screen (monitor was off) to my great dismay, wondering what went
>  wrong. Can someone please help me pinpoint trouble? Should I short the
>  CMOS jumper (pin 2&  3) on the motherboard to clear it up? I want to
>  be completely sure I would do it correctly. Any suggestion of what I
>  could do to fix the problem?
>  Motherboard is msi 785GTM-E45 with AMD Athlon triple core CPU. Two
>  drives are LG SuperMulti CD/DVD.

So tell me/us: do you hear a beep?

BC

--
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and
won't change the subject.