Network problems

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 17:08:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Bill Stanley <bstanle at wowway.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with sharing files between the two computers on my
> home network.  The particulars.
>
> 1.  The two computers are both running Unbuntu Linux.
>   a.  One computer is running Unbuntu 10.10 - 64 bit version.
>   b. the other computer is running Unbuntu 10.04 - 32 bit version
>
> 2. I have full Internet connectivity with both computers I just can't
> share the files between the two computers.
>
> I tried using ping and I can get a ping reply one way but not the other
> way.  I suspect that the firewall on one computer might be getting in
> the way but I don't know enough yet to know where to look.  I have
> installed the gufw 10.04.5 firewall and maybe I have two firewalls
> running?  How do I check?  By the way, this is the computer that does
> not reply to a ping request from the other computer.  It can send a ping
> request and receive a reply from the other computer.
>
> When I try to access a file I get the following.
>
> 1.  On both computers I have activated the folder share option.
> (temporarily, I only allow access to the documents folder on both
> computers.)
> 2.  On one computer (the one that responds to a ping) I get an error
> saying that the other computer has not sent a file share list.  This is
> not too suprising since the other computer does not respond to a ping as
> well.
> 3. On the other computer, I get nothing when trying to access the home
> network.
>
> There is a third computer running Windows but this one has not been run
> for quite a while  (The windoze computer is rather old and unused)  If I
> get the present problem sorted out, I would also like to access files
> with the Windoze computer.  I know I need Samba for this and have
> already installed Samba on both Unbuntu computers.  Maybe this is
> getting in the way?
>
> As always, I will be glad to supply any additional information that is
> needed.  Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

One easy way to check if firewalls are blocking remote access is
disabling both and trying to ping again.

I guess that a single firewall would do, depending on how internet is
accessed and the physical layout of the local net.

I don't believe that Samba can be responsible for this pinging trouble.

The command "sshfs" is useful to mount remote folders in a linux
environment. You should check "man sshfs".

example:

Mount

   sshfs   -o   idmap=user   -C   (remote user)@(ip adress):(remote
folder)   (empty local folder)

   sshfs   -o   idmap=user   -C   bill at 192.168.0.99:/home/bill/
/home/bill/remote

Unmount:

   fusermount -u /home/bill/remote

Lucio