Network problems

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Tue Dec 21 18:36:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am having problems with sharing files between the two computers on my
home network.  The particulars.

1.  The two computers are both running Unbuntu Linux.
   a.  One computer is running Unbuntu 10.10 - 64 bit version.
   b. the other computer is running Unbuntu 10.04 - 32 bit version

2. I have full Internet connectivity with both computers I just can't
share the files between the two computers.

I tried using ping and I can get a ping reply one way but not the other
way.  I suspect that the firewall on one computer might be getting in
the way but I don't know enough yet to know where to look.  I have
installed the gufw 10.04.5 firewall and maybe I have two firewalls
running?  How do I check?  By the way, this is the computer that does
not reply to a ping request from the other computer.  It can send a ping
request and receive a reply from the other computer.

When I try to access a file I get the following.

1.  On both computers I have activated the folder share option.
(temporarily, I only allow access to the documents folder on both
computers.)
2.  On one computer (the one that responds to a ping) I get an error
saying that the other computer has not sent a file share list.  This is
not too suprising since the other computer does not respond to a ping as
well.
3. On the other computer, I get nothing when trying to access the home
network.

There is a third computer running Windows but this one has not been run
for quite a while  (The windoze computer is rather old and unused)  If I
get the present problem sorted out, I would also like to access files
with the Windoze computer.  I know I need Samba for this and have
already installed Samba on both Unbuntu computers.  Maybe this is
getting in the way?

As always, I will be glad to supply any additional information that is
needed.  Thank you in advance for any help you can give.