Interesting recovery frustrations

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 05:20:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 16/12/2010 23:26, Rashkae wrote:
>> On 10-12-15 03:07 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>>
>>> I kind of fumbled around for a while, trying to "recover" /, not
>>> entirely sure what to do, eventually gave up on that and rebooted.
>>> Same things, except this time I told it to skip the disk check, and
>>> voila - everything is copacetic.
>>>
>> And a day later, i figured out what your problem was, which was never Grub.
>>
>> When you used your exiting partitions to install RHEL, those partitions
>> were re-formatted with a new UUID (As I'm sure you realized).. you
>> corrected this in Grub, but you seem to have completely neglected to
>> update your /etc/fstab file, which is why the disk check failed, (and
>> other partitions might be failing to mount.)  Use sudo blkid to get a
>> listing of all current UUID's on your system, and make certain that all
>> filesystems in /etc/fstab have the correct UUID.
>
> And which I personally think is a heap of horse manure to have the disks
> identified by UUID.
>
> There were no hassles with things when it came to
> changing/adding/removing HDs until this UUID crap came along. Now there
> is nothing but hassles.
>
> Yes, I do see the benefits of using UUID, but the negatives far
> out-weight any positives.
>
> I've changed my fstab to use the "old way" to identify HDs and haven't
> had a single problem when the system(s) boot(s) - all HDs are identified
> correctly.

So you're still following in Karl's footsteps by giving terrible advice...

For fstab, Ubuntu refers to filesystems by their UUIDs because the
device names on which these filesystems are created aren't always
persistent.

For grub, Ubuntu refers to filesystems by their UUIDs because the
device names on which these filesystems are created aren't always
persistent and to devices by their hardware IDs because the device
names aren't always persistent.