Firefox plugins - can't get 3.6.13 to see plugins at all.

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Dec 14 18:53:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 05:45:04PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 05:21:28PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 14 December 2010 17:14, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > > I'm having big problems with Firefox (3.6.13) on Ubuntu 10.04.  It
> > > simply refuses to see any plugins at all.
> > >
> > > In addition the "Open Contianing Folder" button on the Troubleshooting
> > > Information page does nothing, I suspect this may be conencted with the
> > > plugins problem.
> > >
> > > I have no pluginreg.dat file anywhere in my home directory.
> > >
> > > All in all Firefox seems to want to ignore plugins completely!
> > >
> > > Any ideas how to get a plugin to install?
> >
> > Try logging in to Ubuntu as a different user (make a test user if
> > necessary, it is useful to have an alternative user occasionally).  If
> > it is ok for that user then it is to do with your user setup
> > obviously.  I think there is a way of making a new profile for
> > yourself, I expect google will find it.
> >
> No, other users don't see any plugins either.
>
> I have just installed the gnash plugin, then logged in as another user,
> "No plugins are installed".
>
> The odd thing is that I can't find any files installed by the gnash
> installation, there's nothing in any of the following directories:-
>
>     /usr/bin/firefox/plugins
>     /usr/bin/firefox-3.6.13/plugins
>     /usr/bin/mozilla/plugins
>     /usr/bin/firefox-addons/plugins
>
> Anyway, why are there so many plugins directories!?

So I got radical!  :-)

I 'completely removed' firefox, seamonkey and any associated bits and
pieces. I then manually removed all the firefox and mozilla plugins
directories.  Finally I moved all my profile directories to backup areas.

Then I re-installed firefox, followed by the flash plugin and *this*
time it appears in firefox *and* it works.

--
Chris Green