Firefox plugins - can't get 3.6.13 to see plugins at all.

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Dec 14 17:45:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 05:21:28PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 14 December 2010 17:14, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > I'm having big problems with Firefox (3.6.13) on Ubuntu 10.04.  It
> > simply refuses to see any plugins at all.
> >
> > In addition the "Open Contianing Folder" button on the Troubleshooting
> > Information page does nothing, I suspect this may be conencted with the
> > plugins problem.
> >
> > I have no pluginreg.dat file anywhere in my home directory.
> >
> > All in all Firefox seems to want to ignore plugins completely!
> >
> > Any ideas how to get a plugin to install?
>
> Try logging in to Ubuntu as a different user (make a test user if
> necessary, it is useful to have an alternative user occasionally).  If
> it is ok for that user then it is to do with your user setup
> obviously.  I think there is a way of making a new profile for
> yourself, I expect google will find it.

No, other users don't see any plugins either.

I have just installed the gnash plugin, then logged in as another user,
"No plugins are installed".

The odd thing is that I can't find any files installed by the gnash
installation, there's nothing in any of the following directories:-

    /usr/bin/firefox/plugins
    /usr/bin/firefox-3.6.13/plugins
    /usr/bin/mozilla/plugins
    /usr/bin/firefox-addons/plugins

Anyway, why are there so many plugins directories!?

--
Chris Green