Tracking the polling software

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 13 06:07:33 UTC 2010

On 13/12/2010 16:36, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Tony Pursell wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 08:47 +0100, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
>>> So how could I find out "who" is polling "something" every two
>>> seconds?
> Try the command
>
> udisks --dump|grep poll
>
> and check if there is a 1 at the end of any column. If there is, use
> "udisks --dump" (without grep) to see which device it is. I suppose you
> can also change the behaviour if you want but I didn't try it myself.
>
>> Isn't this the normal regular syncing?
> There should be nothing to sync every ~2 seconds on an idle system. On
> my system only the CD/DVD drive is polled in regular intervalls.

Some years ago, when I was running SuSE, I suddenly found after
installing one version that the HD light would light up every 2 seconds
or so, non stop without missing a beat.

I honestly cannot remember what I eventually traced it to but I *think*
(but don't quote me - it was years ago :-( ) it had something to do with
something being polled to see if there was a pending write to the HD.

However, I have not seen this behaviour since then, and I have run
10.04.1 and now 10.10.

BC

--
The calendar's days are numbered!