virtualising an existing server using VirtualBox

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 13 00:34:34 UTC 2010

On 12/12/2010 03:46 PM, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 3:55 AM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Note: I do still have multiple VirtualBox installs, but the more that I
>> use VMWare Player, the more I like it. I'm in the process now of
>> converting 3 VB machines over to VMWare.
>
> The only downsides are:
> - Need to re-run the vmware setup everytime there is kernel patch on
> the host. Won't be a problem most of the time, only VM downtime.
> Virtualbox seems not affected by kernel patch.

Oh, there's plenty of times that I have to rebuild VB due to a new
kernel. The difference is that VMWare Player just prompts you and does
it from the gui. VirtualBox always requires going to the command line.

> - If somehow we want to move the VM to another host, we must make sure
> the virtualization feature in the BIOS of the host is similar.

It will not matter at all when moving an Ubuntu server (which is what
the OP is looking to do).