crippled meerkat

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 19:02:21 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 20:29 +0500, chiaowl wrote:
> [...]

Olde Skool here, "...if it ain't broke, don't fix it." comes to mind. Of
course, hindsight is ~always~ 20/20! Check out my user number, I've been
so beat-up by "improvements" that when I achieve something resembling
"stable" I would be very reluctant to part with it. I highly recommend,
again, that any newbie stick with 10.4. At any rate, since your husband
ain't there, at the moment, consider it an opportunity for you to learn,
just for yourself.

My ongoing yawn is that it's a good course of action to consider getting
an install DVD from someone like OnDisk, that is crammed full. I just
don't trust getting an entire install over a wire. Olde skool, I know.
Then install fresh. Old held-over .config files create about half the
ink on this list, including your problem. Me, I created three partitions
on my harddrive. the 1st for the OS and the 2nd for /opt , where I put
all of my private data and files like /etc/host or /etc/X11/xorg.conf
for backup. Swap went on the third. Then, when it's time, I install
fresh on the 1st partition, to the next version, after it has time to
soak a bit and be re-spun with the kinks ironed out. But, that is just
me. Humans make mistakes 15% of the time, so I don't expect the devels
to get upgrade scripts right 100% of the time. Reading this list, my
suspicions appear to be justified. Ric

Linux user# 44256