crippled meerkat <OT>

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 05:57:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 16:18 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 09/12/2010 13:34, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-12-09 at 00:40 +0500, chiaowl wrote:
> >> Keeping it brief:
> >> no mic sound, won't send emails, unable to access computer janitor,
> >> package manager, or ubuntu software center - plus misc. other problems
> >> like not allowing email backups (which I think I need to do before I
> >> clumsily try to resolve this with my sub-kindergarten level of
> >> knowledge of linux).
> > Any particular reason for starting your exploration of Linux with
> > Meerkat?
>
> And why not, I ask?
>
> Nothing wrong with 10.10 - I am now running it on my computer, and only
> a few minutes ago I finished installing it on my wife's computer.
>
> >   You might be better served installing the LTS version (long
> > Term Support) Lucid (ver 10.4).
>
> This LTS nomenclature is just a furphy as far as I am concerned. It may
> be of use to people who install LTS as a server in a work environment
> but it doesn't mean a thing for a home user. Especially since the idea
> of a "rolling upgrades" has just been floated.
>
> >   I think you'd be much better served.
>
> (Not unless you go to Grace Brothers :-) .)
>

> > Jus' my 4 cents, Ric
>
> And my 8 cents worth :-) .

Gimmie 2 cents and I'll give you a dime! I do read this list fervently
and it seems that those of us dinosaurs running 10.4 have a lot less
problems reported here. Of course, those of us that install cleanly have
practically zero problems, but that's another kettle of fish, aye mate?
I'm so bored with my Zero Complaint Install that I'm reduced to watching
Amos And Andy now on Youtube. Well, I watched a bit, then cranked up
cron to youtube-dl -a script to grab them all. <grinning hugely> Ric

Linux user# 44256