Google Desktop

Boggess Rod rboggess at tenovacore.com
Mon Dec 6 14:11:25 UTC 2010

Matthews<contact at jpluscplusm.com>:

>>>    Hi, Kaushal. It works fine on Ubuntu Netbook 10.10.
>> It would be useful for future searchers through this mailing list's
>> archive if someone could state what behaviour is the norm for that
>> shortcut.  Also, TBH, how on earth a ctrl-ctrl shortcut is performed,
>> given a "shortcut"'s normal definition as simultaneous keypresses.
>>
>> Jonathan
> I would guess that Ctrl+Ctrl is done by simultaneously pressing the
right
> and the left Ctrl keys. Unfortunately some netbooks doesn't have more
than
> one Ctrl key?

All that's well and good, but it doesn't answer the question:  WHAT IS
SUPPOSED
TO HAPPEN WHEN YOU DO THIS?  Sorry, but this is the umpteenth post that
didn't answer that.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A. M. Greeley

Presumably, pressing Ctrl twice in rapid succession will open the Google
Desktop Search applet like it does in Windows (a small black box framing
a simple white textbox). It's just a simple textbox to enter a search
term. Just guessing here, as I've never installed the Linux version, but
I would guess that it sees both Ctrl presses. I'm guessing it would
"activate" on the first press, but pass the signal on. It would then
start a count-down timer and intercept the second Ctrl press to display
the popup, or exit if the timer expired.

I've never tried programming key-presses in Linux, so this is just a
guess based mostly on how I'd try to do something similar in Windows.
Unless things have changed a bunch, the event queue wasn't all that
different in Motif, and I'm assuming Linux uses something similar.