linux for V-Net?

David Curtis dave.c.curtis at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 18:43:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> wrote:

> I just purchased a Visual-Land VL760 really small and cheap netbook,
> mainly because I couldn't resist the $60 price from eCost.
> It is really a gutless wonder, altho it has a decent display.  It runs
> Windows CE-5, which looks sort of  like XP, but isn't.  The
> instruction book says quite frankly that it won't run standard Windows
> software.  It does include a batch of useful tools,
> like an editor, a net browser, a spreadsheet, and presumably a mail
> program.  It even has solitaire on it.  On the downside, it
> is slow, the screen is pretty small, and there's not much customization
> available--I can't seem to find a way to make it work
> on single-click.  (You can customize the desktop background, however.)
> And speaking of mice, several external mice don't move the cursor, altho
> the buttons work.  I have two that do work, one of which is one of a
> pair, the other of which doesn't!  Unfortunately, my Kensington
> trackballs do not work.  I am allergic to touchscreens!  Also, a gripe:
> too much depression required of the spacebar.
>
> Anyway:  there seems to be a password required to get to the bios, and
> it's not the password you enter into Windows.  I don't know
> what it might be.  It's not "admin" either.  I assume you'd need to get
> to the bios in order to make it boot off a flash drive.
> If I could get a very small Linux to work on it, I'd like suggestions as
> to _what_ Linux--I'd certainly want to keep a GUI--and _how_
> to get it to work with it.
>
> I know it's a toy, but it's cute.
>
> Anyone out there with suggestions?
>

>From the Visual-Land website; the processor is ARM 32bit, or at least now it
is. And the bios password is 'ztk'. It does not support external storage,
and there's a pdf manual for download.

http://www.visual-land.com/vl760_black.html

Don't give up until you've had a good look around the web for anyone who's
done some hacking on it. If they're really that cheap I'm sure someone's
tried to install linux on it.