What does the following apt-get response mean?

Angus MacGyver macgyver at calibre-solutions.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 22:10:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 05:30 -0600, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2010, at 2:00 AM, John Conover wrote:

> > Should "dist-upgrade" be used, always, instead of just "upgrade"?

Normal desktop - use the GUI.

Server, or what I would describe as "workstation" machine, then it
depends.

Application upgrades fine, kernel..

> Nothing to do with you or Ubuntu really.  It's more of a need be.  Most system administrators don't like to do major release upgrades without testing.
> So dist-upgrade does things like point-releases, major releases and kernels whereas upgrade does normal and normal system software.
> When you see that simply run dist-upgrade and upgrade your system, otherwise a normal upgrade is fine because there are no major system updates.

OH soooooo very true...

I will happily let an apache patch get installed with an "upgrade"
whilst I am logged on remotely..

kernel patch... I am *way* more twitchy about, especially remotely.
To apply a kernel patch (i.e. install and switch to running the new
kernel) ... now that needs a reboot.

Over the years I've had the odd kernel crap out on me after reboot for
one reason or another - and if there is no-one physically near the
machine, this can be more than inconvenient. (assuming here no remote
console - which is true in some of my cases)

So the two ways give me, as an administrator, powerful options..

--
AM