What does the following apt-get response mean?

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 1 12:07:22 UTC 2010

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 01.12.2010, 00:00 -0800 schrieb John Conover:
> > > Why won't it upgrade it?

because it either needs to remove installed packages or install
additional packages you dont have yet.

> > Try using dist-upgrade instead.
> >

> Thanks, Dotan. That worked. What caused it to not upgrade?
>
> I have three machines that are all identical, but one would not
> upgrade. Do you know what caused it?
>
> Should "dist-upgrade" be used, always, instead of just "upgrade"?
that depends what you want, while apt-get upgrade will only upgrade
packages that are already existing, dist-upgrade will install additional
dependencies or remove packages that are not needed anymore (i.e. a
package conflict that a new package introduces requires removal of an
existing package)

this is the only difference between the two, i would suggest to always
go with upgrade and only if that blocks on something, inspect what
blocks, decide if you want it and run dist-upgrade instead ...

in the GUI update-manager will show a popup that tells you it will do a
system upgrade (instead of the normal operation where it just updates
the listed packages)

unlike others suggest in this thread dist-upgrade has *nothing* to do
with an upgrade to a new ubuntu release unless you changed additional
components (i.e bumped your sources.list etc), it will only do the
above. you can safely use it to keep your current release up to date
(but as i said, i'D always try an upgrade first ... and on a sidenote i
would use the GUI if you dont run a server, it gets you a better
overview of what is or has to be done)

ciao
	oli