Ubuntu 2.6.31-19-generic monitor change

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 29 21:01:34 UTC 2010

On 04/29/2010 12:21 PM, lazer1 wrote:

> well I have found what xorg.conf should be but cannot instate it!
>
> by "trying Ubuntu without changes" that has xorg.conf
>
> for the monitor,
>
> the ModelName field is "PHILIPS 150"
>
> VendorName is "Monitor Vendor"
>
> DisplaySize is 300   230
>
> HorizSync is 30.0 - 61.0
> VertRefresh is 56.0 - 75.0
> Option is "dpms"
>
> but trying Ubuntu without changes doesnt allow me to read or write any
>
> files.
>
> this is a real catch 22 situation.

*Again* *Please* bottom post on this list. See:
[Proper quoting]

Back to your problem; you could mount the drive/partition & then copy
the xorg.conf from the liveCD file over to /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the
problem drive/partition.

>From the liveCD.

Open a terminal and then:

$ sudo fdisk -l

to determine the proper drive/partion to mount. Then mount it (for
example if it is sda1:

$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

then copy the file over to /mnt/sda1/etc/X11/xorg.conf.