Dell Laptops

Tab Gilbert tabbox at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 00:14:02 UTC 2010

> >> what are the supported laptops of Dell running ubuntu ?
> >
> > That'll largely depend on specific models and so on. I have an old Dell
> > Latitude that runs okay on Xubuntu and Lubuntu.
> >
> > --

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop.  Everything works great on it.  I have the
Intel N card and it was works right out of the box.  However, the Dell
DataSafe application has caused me misery on a dual boot machine.  If you
are going to nuke windows then it is a perfectly fine selection.  The dual
boot with Dell DataSafe installed is a problem.

If you look at the "Strange Grub Error Message on dual boot Dell laptop"
thread on this list you will see what I am talking about.  The DataSafe
basically destroys the grub boot loader which render the machine
inoperative.  I have been installed Ubuntu over and over again until NoOp
and some of the fine folks on this list pointed me in the right direction.
I am still mulling over what the action to take.

tab

I went looking on launchpad (found the bug you'd commented on 551721):
<
https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=Dell+backup+software&field.actions.search=Search

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/551721
Seems relevant.
[Jeff's comments on this one]

However, you might want to have a look at this one as well:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/482757
[Grub loading. The symbol ' ' not found. Aborted. Press any key...]

Also:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/grub2/+bug/441941
[grub fails after running Windows]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/496435
[upgrades of the grub-pc package can overwrite wrong MBR]

Might be worth exploring installing grub2 to it's own partition (see the
various backup/restore utilities that are provided with the laptop(s)
WinXYZ setups.

The 'BURG' that some of the bugs suggest (no clue if it works - never
heard of it before) is:
http://code.google.com/p/burg/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg
http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/572-burg-advanced-menu-for-grub2