Can't log in with linux 2.6.32-21-generic kernel on Lucid

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 22 20:46:55 UTC 2010

On 04/22/2010 12:56 PM, Laura Conrad wrote:

> I was hoping that, but the ones I got at lunchtime today didn't fix my
> problem.  I'll try again later.
>
> But I did get some package upgrades, so I'm no longer worried that
> something's completely broken the package manager.

I think that this is probably will give added clues:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/554835>
[[855GM] GPU hang when an application tries to use XVideo]

For your chipset KMS was disabled on 2.6.32-21.32:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/554835/comments/7>
See comments following for blackscreen login issues & possible workarounds.

You might want to monitor/subscribe to that bug.

BTW: It will still be helpful if you can provide the results of:

$ apt-cache policy xserver-xorg-video-intel