help use gedit to edit server files

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 17:18:09 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
<amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> wrote:

> On Thu, April 22, 2010 01:29, Luis Paulo wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I think that is what the OP is doing, but the problem is that he
> >> cannot edit files that require sudo to edit them.
> >
> > Right, for those you'll have to log as a user with write permissions
> >
> > For example, log as root
>
> I disagree with the login as root.
> It is a common configuration of SSH to disable root login.
>
> Another alternative has already been given: edit the file with nano.
> Other console editors are vi(m) and emacs. They are more powerfull than
> nano, even more powerfull than gedit, but they have a learning curve.
>
> I won't go into the traditional vi/emacs editor wars, because I am a nano
> user ;-)
>
> --
> Amedee

Hi, Amedee
Have you read the thread?

The subject is using gedit on a machine with no X, I was talking
generally about how to use graphical editors.
Nevertheless,I had also mentioned nano.

You disagree with root login, we know now.
Why don't you check PermitRootLogin is set to no and try what you
commented about before doing it.

Do you have anything more to say about editing with gedit files that
require sudo on a machine with no X?

Luis