Getting rid of 'balloons'

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Apr 20 14:23:19 UTC 2010

On 21/04/10 00:01, jerry wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> I am getting most annoyed by having balloons come up everytime I put the
>> cursor over an icon. I KNOW what the icon is about when I put the cursor
>> on it and I don't want the darn balloon not only popping up but also
>> obscuring the text or whatever under it. I mean a balloon even comes up
>> "telling" me to login as<name>  - I know who I am!
>>
>> Is there any way to switch off these 'balloons'?
>>
>> (Using Ubuntu Lucid Beta 2.)
>>
>> BC
>>

> Have you tried to right click on the panel and select Configure Panel>
> Appearance>  deselect Enable icon mouseover effects.  Apply
> I am using Kubuntu 8.04 and it stops the bubble when I place the cursor
> over an icon.
> HTH
> Jerry

In Kubuntu (it uses KDE) you can do it but not in Ubuntu (which uses
Gnome as you would know). There is no facility to turn off the balloons
- at least I cannot find it in any of the options in the Control Centre
:-( .

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                                                     Galileo Galilei