download linux kernel 2.6.33.2

axel uraliin.asti at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 17 17:33:52 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 18:23 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 6:01 PM, axel <uraliin.asti at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > Greetings !
> >
> > I am running Ubuntu 8.04 with BIOS 2.6 24-27-generic.
> >
> > Quite often , on Startup I get "Unable to obtain Operating System"....or
> > words to that effect...and that is as far as it goes.
> > I have to reboot and go thru the F12 ...harddisk ...etc.to get things
> > going.
> >
> > So... I tried downloading LINUX KERNEL 2.6.33.2 ...which I managed to
> > do ...up to the point of "save file".
> >
> > The problem is , that I have been unable to "Install".
> >
> > Would somebody be so kind as to point out how I can proceed ?
> > With thanks
> > Axel.
>
> I'm afraid it's a little more complicated than that, and the newer
> kernel will not help you. Indeed it will probably break your PC if you
> did manage to install it, so excuse me if I do not tell you how or
> point you at web pages about it!
>
> Do you update your system regularly? It is a good idea to do so. You
> are on the current Long Term Support release of Ubuntu - the next one,
> which replaces your current one, is currently in the final stages of
> testing and will be out at the end of this month. If you want the
> latest kernel and so on, when the new version, called 10.04, is
> available, you should upgrade to it. Backup all your data first,
> though!
>
> For now, though, you can update your system with the latest fixes and
> so on by opening a terminal (from the Accessories menu, or press
> Ctrl-Alt-T) then type these 2 commands:
>
> sudo apt-get update
>
> (wait for that to finish; it may take some minutes.)
>
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
>
> (again, this might take quite a long time. Wait for it to finish and
> do not interrupt it once it has started.)
>

> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/liamproven
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
> AOL/AIM/iChat/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • LiveJournal/Twitter: lproven
> MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Thank you for the info!
I did follow your suggestion and got the following:

< axel at axel-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
axel at axel-laptop:~$ >

Do you think this will cure....for the time being .... the problem I
have ...i.e problem with accessing Ops System ?
Thank you .
Axel.