download linux kernel 2.6.33.2

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 17:23:17 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 6:01 PM, axel <uraliin.asti at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Greetings !
>
> I am running Ubuntu 8.04 with BIOS 2.6 24-27-generic.
>
> Quite often , on Startup I get "Unable to obtain Operating System"....or
> words to that effect...and that is as far as it goes.
> I have to reboot and go thru the F12 ...harddisk ...etc.to get things
> going.
>
> So... I tried downloading LINUX KERNEL 2.6.33.2 ...which I managed to
> do ...up to the point of "save file".
>
> The problem is , that I have been unable to "Install".
>
> Would somebody be so kind as to point out how I can proceed ?
> With thanks
> Axel.

I'm afraid it's a little more complicated than that, and the newer
kernel will not help you. Indeed it will probably break your PC if you
did manage to install it, so excuse me if I do not tell you how or
point you at web pages about it!

Do you update your system regularly? It is a good idea to do so. You
are on the current Long Term Support release of Ubuntu - the next one,
which replaces your current one, is currently in the final stages of
testing and will be out at the end of this month. If you want the
latest kernel and so on, when the new version, called 10.04, is
available, you should upgrade to it. Backup all your data first,
though!

For now, though, you can update your system with the latest fixes and
so on by opening a terminal (from the Accessories menu, or press
Ctrl-Alt-T) then type these 2 commands:

sudo apt-get update

(wait for that to finish; it may take some minutes.)

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

(again, this might take quite a long time. Wait for it to finish and
do not interrupt it once it has started.)

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508