screen dimensions

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 16 19:47:49 UTC 2010

On 04/16/2010 06:11 AM, Verde Denim wrote:
> I'm running 8.04LTS on one of my servers. My 24" monitor went dead and my
> fallback is my 42" flat screen (oh, boo-hoo).
> It's great for looking at desktop apps and such, but the taskbar is out of
> view. I'm trying to find a way to set the physical dimensions of the screen
> such that I can see the entire layout.
> So far, I've not found this. Does anyone know of a way to set these
> dimensions?
>
> Thanks, as always, for the input...

Often when I do a new installation the monitor settings are not detected
properly & when the screen first appears I encounter the same situation.
So here's a trick I learn quite some time ago:

Right click a blank spot on the bottom panel & select 'Add to panel'.
Then scroll down and select 'Main Menu' & click 'Add'. On the bottom
panel you will see the circular Ubuntu icon, click it & select
'System|Preferences|Screen Resolution (or may be 'Display' on 8.04).
>From there you will be able to set the proper resolution/frequency.

Alternatively, if that doesn't work for you:

Alt-F2 then gnome-display-properties
should get you into the same.

You might then want to arrange that icon to the far left of the bottom
panel & leave it there. It doesn't take up much room & can be handy to have.