Installing Ubuntu in a very poor performace machine...

Ioannis Vranos cppdeveloper at ontelecoms.gr
Tue Apr 13 14:42:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 10:48 +0530, arshad wrote:
> A friend of mine needs to have Ubuntu installed in his machine which has
> 10GB HDD, 128mb RAM, 32mb VGA, 800GHz processor.
> I tried installing hardy, jaunty and karmic but all got stuck in the
> middle for some reasons i don't know. I think its due to the low
> resources of the machine.
> Is it possible to install jaunty in his hdd by plugging it into my
> motherboard?
>
> mine is a core to duo and all other specifications are different from
> him.
>
> please give some advice.
>
> thanks a lot.

You may try Ubuntu alternate installer CD, and if Ubuntu doesn't work
well, try Xubuntu alternate installer CD.

Ubuntu alternate installer CD is available here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#mirrors

Xubuntu alternate installer CD is available here:

http://www.xubuntu.org/get

If these don't work, you may try Slackware:

http://www.slackware.com

If nothing of the above work, you may try minimal distributions like
Puppy Linux etc..

The following site may help you:

http://www.linux.org/dist/

--