Lucid Beta 2 doesn't see CD blanks

Li Li li2005lilly at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 14:03:51 UTC 2010

My Lucid beta 2 install (updated completely [I think] at about 1200 UTC
Monday) doesn't detect known good CD or CD-RW blanks.  This computer
dual boots Mint-8 and everything works perfectly well there.  In fact,
that's where I made the CD I installed Lucid from.

If I open Nautilus to "Computer" with no CD blank inserted I see a
CD-DVD listing for both my DVD reader and my DVD-CD writer (generic PATA
units, known good).  If I insert a blank CD-R in the writer the line in
the Nautilus display for it vanishes immediately, the busy light for the
writer flashes a while and the hard disk busy light activates as
normally happens.  No icon for "blank CD" appears on the desktop as it
does in Mint.  Brasero insists that there is no writable medium in the
drive!

I can read already-written CDs and DVDs in the writer just fine.

I don't have any idea of how to troubleshoot this.

--
Lilly
godbless --everyone --no-exceptions