is skype encrypted?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 11 03:00:28 UTC 2010

On 04/10/2010 07:31 PM, Sandy Harris wrote:
> On 4/11/10, Kenneth Loafman <kenneth at loafman.com> wrote:
>
>> Skype is encrypted end-to-end, so us common folk can't get your
>>  password.  I would not bet against a back door for the government
>>  though, Skype is a closed-source solution.
>
> At least one version has a back door for the Chinese government.
> http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/10/chinese-skype-client-hands-confidential-communicat
>
> For secure VoIP, I'd say the obvious place to look would be
> Zfone from Phil Zimmerman who designed PGP.
> http://zfoneproject.com/
>
> Why is that not findable via Synaptic? It is important!

$ apt-cache search zfone
libzrtpcpp-1.4-0 - ccrtp extension for zrtp/Zfone support
libzrtpcpp-dev - Headers and static link library for libzrtpcpp

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Zfone
http://zfoneproject.com/prod_zfone.html
<quote>
The current Zfone software runs in the Internet protocol stack on any
Windows XP, Vista, Mac OS X, or Linux PC, and intercepts and filters all
the VoIP packets as they go in and out of the machine, and secures the
call on the fly. You can use a variety of different software VoIP
clients to make a VoIP call
</quote>