Sound lost completely [resend]

Frans Ketelaars ketelaars at wanadoo.nl
Thu Apr 8 16:01:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 13:05:16 +0100, Mike Yates wrote:

> Hi
> I've not had any microphone input at all since using this Asus
> M4A78-HTPC motherboard with its Azalia RS780 audio. The mic input works
> fine in Windoze and in some (32bit) Cd-boot Linux's. Oddly, it does not
> in "Asus Expressgate" (instant-on) Skype and I have not received any
> response in the Asus groups about that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splashtop
explains "Asus Expressgate". Maybe something is wrong with your mainboard.

> In making a fresh attempt to install the provided Asus drivers for
> Linux, (via-linux-audiopackV1.9RC3 made 29/12/2008). I have lost all
> sound modules and I get
>
> root at myates:~# modprobe snd
> FATAL: Module snd not found.
> FATAL: Error running install command for snd root at myates:~#
>
> I have booted onto the Ubuntu 9.04 AMD64 CD, though I'm now on 9.10,
> finding that the sound output works fine and there are dozens of snd
> modules in lsmod.
>
> What's the best way to retore the "standard" sound setup?

If you boot an earlier kernel I think you should at least have your 'old
sound modules'.

Then reinstalling the newest kernel hopefully undoes the 'damage'
installing the Asus drivers did.

I doubt installing Asus drivers from 29/12/2008 on Ubuntu 9.10 does any
good...

Good luck!

    -Frans