Thunderbird and launching Firefox browser

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 8 01:02:28 UTC 2010

On 04/07/2010 05:27 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Using Lucid, and Thunderbird 3.0.4 with Firefox 3.6.3 on a 32-bit system.
>
> On another distro I can click on a link mentioned in an email and this
> automatically starts Firefox if it is offline or opens a new tab if FF
> is already running.
>
> With Lucid I cannot do this.
>
> I do have Launchy installed - but I do not think that this is where the
> problem lies.
>
> I also have TB and FF as the default applications in the System Preferences.
>
> What is puzzling me is that I can go to System>Preferences>Appearance
> and click on the links Get More Backgrounds or Themes and in both cases
> Firefox is automatically started (or the correct web page brought up).
> But this does not happen from within Thunderbird.
>
> Does anyone know what is needed to be done to get a URL link in TB
> activate FF? For example, in an email someone supplies a link to a
> YouTube video; I used to click on that link and the video would be
> automatically brought up in Firefox. How to get this feature back in
> Ubuntu, anyone?
>
> BC

I only use TB for testing; on the newly installed TB3 in lucid that I
installed to test the calendar (lightning) issue, I find that clicking
on a url in an email msg results in a 'Launch Application' popup asking
me to 'Choose an Application'. I can of course wander around and _find_
firefox, seamonkey, opera, et al to launch the url, but I shouldn't have
to. TB should use the preferences that I've already set in
System|Preferences|Preferred Applications. This sounds like a TB bug to me.

So, looking on launchpad:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=lucid+%2Bthunderbird&field.actions.search=Search>

I find:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunderbird/+bug/547103
[[ubuntu lucid] thunderbird does not know how to open a weblink]
Feel free to join along...