Ubuntu 9.10 Hangs Frequently

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 16:20:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM, MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 5:42 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> > I tried many times, but no status changed and I still get system hanged
>> > as
>> > usual. I don't know what
>> > should I do. May be switching back to 9.04 or moving to Red-Hat, I don't
>> > know.
>> >

>> You have 18 packages that are not being upgraded; that indicates that
>> the upgrade was incomplete. Can you provide the output of:
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>>
> Hi,
>
> Here is the output
>

> blackhole:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
> [sudo] password for csverma:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   bind9-host dnsutils libbind9-50 libdns50 libgssapi-krb5-2 libgssrpc4
>   libisc50 libisccc50 libisccfg50 libk5crypto3 libkadm5srv6 libkrb5-3
>   libkrb5-dev libkrb5support0 liblwres50 linux-generic linux-headers-generic
>   linux-image-generic
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 18 not upgraded.
> @blackhole:~$

I am sure that this is not the "official" way, but when I have
problems due to packages being "held back", I just manually 'apt-get
install' those packages.

So in this case, just type

sudo apt-get install

(ending in a space) then use the mouse to highlight the list of
packages being held back. Middle-click and the whole list will be
inserted after your apt-get command. Hit return, they'll be upgraded
and your system will be brought up to date.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508