Looking for a program to capture you-tube style video

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Sep 11 13:38:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 04:15:35PM -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:42:03 +0000 (UTC)
> "Mark C. Miller" <mr.mcmiller at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In my PC days, I used to use a program called save2mypc.  You would
> > specify the link to the video and it was from you tube (for example),
> > it would save the file to your local hard drive.  There were options
> > to the file type(mpeg, etc).  It was a very handy program for me as a
> > classroom teacher.
> >
> > Now that I've left my pc days behind me, I discover I used that
> > program more than I thought.  I'd really like to find something in
> > the Ubuntu world that achieves the same end.  My searches led me
> > nowhere.
> >
> > Can anyone make a suggestion?
> >
> > tnx
> >
> > mcm
> >
> This works for me, at least for youtube vids:
> Open a terminal and type:
>
> youtube-dl <video eddress here>

There's also clive, which is another command-line tool, supporting
multiple sites and multiple video formats (e.g. it can download .mp4
files from youtube).

The version in Jaunty is currently broken:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/clive/+bug/415660

Marius Gedminas
--
<AdamV> SamB: PHP's basic control structure is the "database
        timeout error".                       -- from Twisted.Quotes