Looking for a program to capture you-tube style video

Cybe R. Wizard cyber_wizard at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 10 21:15:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:42:03 +0000 (UTC)
"Mark C. Miller" <mr.mcmiller at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my PC days, I used to use a program called save2mypc.  You would
> specify the link to the video and it was from you tube (for example),
> it would save the file to your local hard drive.  There were options
> to the file type(mpeg, etc).  It was a very handy program for me as a
> classroom teacher.
>
> Now that I've left my pc days behind me, I discover I used that
> program more than I thought.  I'd really like to find something in
> the Ubuntu world that achieves the same end.  My searches led me
> nowhere.
>
> Can anyone make a suggestion?
>
> tnx
>
> mcm

This works for me, at least for youtube vids:
Open a terminal and type:

youtube-dl <video eddress here>

This will save it in your /home/<you> directory with a .flv file
extension and a long incomprehensible name.

To save it as a .mp3 try:
 ffmpeg -i /home/<you>/<incomprehensible_name>.flv <your_chosen_name.mpg

Cybe R. Wizard
	Winduhs