Evolution vs. Thunderbird

russell cook ozbike at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 06:08:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 11:32 +1000, dean wrote:
> David McNally wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > After being without Internet access for a week, I've decided I don't
> > want to use webmail any longer. However, I don't want to change my
> > email address, so I want to keep my Gmail, but use Evolution or
> > Thunderbird to have it on my computer. During this internet-free week,
> > I found myself constantly needing to go back and find old emails from
> > the past few weeks that I would have had if I had set up Evolution or
> > Thunderbird.
> >
> > So, which one do you folks think is better, and why?
> >
> > Just in case this helps, I need it to support Gmail easily. I have a
> > 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 machine. I don't have Thunderbird installed, but it
> > would be no problem to install it. I need something that's _easy_ for
> > me to use. I'm still a bit of a noob, but I'm a serious noob in this
> > area. I've never really used programs like Outlook or Evolution or
> > Thunderbird, so it has to be simple to navigate and to get it to do
> > what I want it to do, even if I need to sacrifice features for that.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > David
> >
> > --
> > David McNally
> > david3333333 at gmail.com <mailto:david3333333 at gmail.com> <mailto:david3333333 at gmail.com>
> > Linux Kernel 2.6.28-15-generic
> I would suggest Thunderbird as it is a lot easy to setup a gmail
> account, a few clicks and it does the setup for you.
>
> /Dean\

I use both on my gmail account. Just set them both up for IMAP with
cached/local copies of the mail box and you can use either one at any
time. That gives you the most flexibility. Rules operate more quickly in
thunderbird, but loading messages to display is quicker in evolution.
They have different strengths/weaknesses. And if one dies on you
inexplicably, you just fire up the other