Evolution vs. Thunderbird

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 2 02:21:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-01 at 21:20 -0400, David McNally wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> After being without Internet access for a week, I've decided I don't
> want to use webmail any longer. However, I don't want to change my
> email address, so I want to keep my Gmail, but use Evolution or
> Thunderbird to have it on my computer. During this internet-free week,
> I found myself constantly needing to go back and find old emails from
> the past few weeks that I would have had if I had set up Evolution or
> Thunderbird.
>
> So, which one do you folks think is better, and why?

Personally, I use Evolution, and am Quite pleased with it. I like
Evolution better than Thunderbird, because I feel it integrates better
with the gnome desktop feel, it was pretty easy to set up, easy to
navigate, and it includes integrated features such as a calender,
notes/tasks lists, + the standard contact list, and email.  with T-bird,
I never could get used to the interface, and I always end up going back
to Evolution.

> Just in case this helps, I need it to support Gmail easily. I have a
> 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 machine. I don't have Thunderbird installed, but it
> would be no problem to install it. I need something that's _easy_ for
> me to use. I'm still a bit of a noob, but I'm a serious noob in this
> area. I've never really used programs like Outlook or Evolution or
> Thunderbird, so it has to be simple to navigate and to get it to do
> what I want it to do, even if I need to sacrifice features for that.

To set up a gmail account in evolution, make sure that IMAP or POP
forwarding is set up on your account. search in the gmail help for how
to do this (but I think the setting is under "Settings > forwarding"
from the gmail interface) Then, the rest of the info you'll need is this
(NOTE: This is for IMAP{which is what I use} but should work for POP
also, just change the imap.gmail.com to pop.gmail.com):
    Recieving-
        Server: imap.gmail.com:993
        Username: <your gmail acct. sans the @gmail.com>
        Secure Connection: SSL Encryption