Using a kernel module from old Linux kernel in a new Linux kernel

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Sep 29 20:47:35 UTC 2009

Rune Svendsen wrote:
> What I'd like to do, to determine if this is an issue with the driver
> for the ICE1724 chip, is use the driver module from Intrepid in
> Karmic. I've already copied this module from a running Intrepid Live
> CD, but when trying to replace this module with the one from Karmic
> (just replacing the file
> (/lib/modules/2.6.31-11-generic/kernel/sound/pci/ice1712/snd-ice1724.
>ko with the one from Intrepid), I receive the following error:
>
>         snd_ice1724: no symbol version for module_layout
>
> So therefore I ask, is there a way to load an old kernel module into
> a new kernel?

No.

You could compile the new kernel from source and use the source of the
module from the old kernel. However it may not work because often there
are changes in other parts of the kernel which make it impossible to
compile the older module source without modifications to the source
code.

Another option would be to use the working kernel from Intrepid. OTOH
that may be not what you would like to have if you have hardware that
wasn't supported by the old kernel.

Nils