WebCam Cannon powershot A520

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 26 21:49:31 UTC 2009

On 09/26/2009 03:57 AM, Knapp wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 7:54 PM, NoOp <pleaseconfigureyourclienttonotaddemailaddresseshere> wrote:
>>
>> That sounds like a usb issue. Check your dmesg/message logs immediately
>> after it fails to see if you can detect what is happening.
>
> I see no entries in dmesg using the dmegs command. How should I do this?

Try this instead:

$ cat /var/log/messages |grep USB
$ cat /var/log/dmesg.0 |grep USB

Now plug in the camera and do:

$ dmesg |tail

and you should see something like:
[24026.836020] usb 5-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
address 2
[24027.001256] usb 5-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

and/or:

$ cat /var/log/messages |tail

Now go to picture taking mode & you should see the USB disconnect when
you issue the command(s) again.

If you have any usb error types of messages between the connect and
disconnects, then it's possible that you are getting USB errors & they
should . You'll also see that going from picture viewing to picture
taking mode on the camera enables/disables the USB port on the camera
(at least on my A75). So (in the case of my A75) this has nothing to do
with Ubuntu, but all to do with the camera itself.