mount.nfs:connection timed out

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Sat Sep 26 04:07:47 UTC 2009

Linda wrote:
> Fred Roller wrote:
>
>> Linda wrote:
>>

>>> I'am looking for suggestions to solve a nfs problem. I did the updates
>>> of 8.04.3 LTS  that required a reboot this week. I have several
>>> directories that are shared via nfs. After I rebooted the machines one
>>> of the nfs directories would not mount on the client. The directory is
>>> for an external usb hard drive used for backups. I tried unmounting the
>>> directory and remounting it on the server than doing a exportfs -rav It
>>> shows it exports the directory to the right ip address. However the
>>> client continues to give me the error mount.nfs.connection:connection
>>> timed out. I am at a loss to why this one directory will not mount on
>>> the client when all the other nfs directories are working fine. The usb
>>> drive is properly mounted on the server. Any ideas on what could be
>>> going on?
>>>           Thanks
>>>             Linda
>>>

>> Have you tried mounting to a different client to rule out a client issue?
>>

> I will try exporting it to an additional client, but the client that is
> giving the error message is mounting the other nfs directories from the
> same server without a problem

Do that and take a thorough look at the permissions the directory has
set.  Alot of my nfs issues turned out  to be ownership or permissions;
especially since the directory in question is a usb drive.  Apologies if
this seems simple, just going through TS process.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."